Friday 27 January 2012

Ye Olde Beer

Ebulum - 6.5%
In folklore, elder trees are said to ward off evil.  In practicality all of it apart from the berries contain chemicals that metabolise into cyanide.  I always wondered who learned these things and was it a scientific study into what was edible.

Anyway.

Another Scottish ale tonight.  From the folks at Williams Bros. Brewery comes Ebulum a dark ale made with Elderberries.  I can't, with any degree of honesty, claim to be able to taste the Elderberry.  But then what would I know?  I doubt I could identify one with someone pointing at it.

So a dark and chocolatey beer with a light refreshing finish is what it all boils down to.  It's black colour suggests a rich flavour with isn't present, and indeed was promised by the scent.

I wouldn't turn down another but I'm not going out of my way to find this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment